Thursday, May 25, 2006

It is hot in my house right now.

The girls in my Biblical Femininity Bible study are doing a traveling necklace this summer... kind of similar to the sisterhood of the traveling pants or whatever (I never saw that movie, it looked like a wad of snotty tissue to me). Leave it to my darling friend Julie Kotynski to pick out the most obnoxiously trendy necklace known to man (well... I guess men wouldn't really know...). The sad thing is, I really like it. Today was my turn to wear the necklace, take pictures with it on, write encouragements to the other 5 girls, and journal about my life for the next 4 days. All in all, it's pretty sweet.

All of this journaling has got me really thinking about some specific struggles I'm having right now. I think when I am in a group of people where the Holy Spirit is really at work and changing lives, it seems like no one ever deals with the same sin pattern for more than a couple of weeks (well, except pride, maybe). So, needless to say, I have a tendency to feel weighed down by the same recurring sin of laziness and lack of discipline. It's frustrating... I really connect with Paul's lament over him doing the things he doesn't want to do. It kinda makes me wonder if this will be "just one of those sins" that I struggle with until I go to Heaven (the thought of which has really been blowing my mind lately). Who am I to deserve sanctification? Of course, God promises it, but who am I to put a timeline on it? I can't demand to overcome something... I can only beg God's grace and plead that the Holy Spirit will change my heart. Praise the Lord that I received an amazing, encouraging, truth-filled email from Squatty yesterday reminding me that through Christ, we have power over sin.

Dude, dude, DUDE. New Attitude. Saturday. So flippin' excited. Ahhhhhhhh.

2 comments:

Leslie Bowden Nack said...

A few months ago I was eyeball deep in despair and I would send a line down into all of the truth I knew trying to fish out nuggets that would "help" me. I read this Psalm this morning and realized in all that time ... I didn't actually cry out to God. So Holls, cry out ... like this guy did ...

Psalm 61

Hear my cry, O God,
listen to my prayer;
from the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint.
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy.
Let me dwell in your tent forever!
Let me take refuge under the shelter of your wings! Selah
For you, O God, have heard my vows; you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.
Prolong the life of the king;
may his years endure to all generations! May he be enthroned forever before God; appoint steadfast love and faithfulness to watch over him!
So will I ever sing praises to your name, as I perform my vows day after day.

Cap Stewart said...

It's interesting that you mention that Psalm. I've been meditating on Psalm 130 (which also deals with crying out to God and placing all hope in Him)...


Out of the depths I have cried to You, O LORD;
Lord, hear my voice!
Let Your ears be attentive
To the voice of my supplications.

If You, LORD, should mark iniquities,
O Lord, who could stand?
But there is forgiveness with You,
That You may be feared.

I wait for the LORD, my soul waits,
And in His word I do hope.
My soul waits for the Lord
More than those who watch for the morning—
Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.

O Israel, hope in the LORD;
For with the LORD there is mercy,
And with Him is abundant redemption.
And He shall redeem Israel
From all his iniquities.