Monday, November 06, 2006

...And they came in threes

Well, I wasn't quite expecting them so early, but my Mormon buddies came by today with their chauffeur for the day (apparently biking is out in the late fall). I had written about some things I disagreed with on their pamphlet (all over it, actually), and we talked about them for a bit-- about the Gospel being "restored" after the "apostasy" and "priesthood authority" being given to Joseph Smith and all that. They got down to the point asking if I would read over the book of Mormon and pray about it to believe, and I said no, so that kind of hurried their departure. I just kept saying that I believe the book of Mormon is an addition to the Bible and that all we need is Jesus Christ to receive salvation and an eternity in heaven. I asked why they were asking people to accept book of Mormon instead of Jesus Christ and why they ask people to accept that a man-- Joseph Smith-- was a prophet and believe in the book of Mormon. They said it was a testament of Jesus Christ, and it spoke of the Gospel like the Bible. I don't think they believe in perserverance with their evangelizing if they give up so quickly. I asked if I could pray for them before they left, and I just prayed with all my might that they would believe in Jesus Christ as the way to salvation and that no good works could save them. I said how we are all sinners and that nothing we do can ever earn our salvation except faith alone. I felt like I fumbled over the topics we discussed (possibly because I just didn't believe in any of them and didn't really have a specific references to rebuttal them), but I just wanted to show them the faith that I have in Jesus Christ without their book. Hopefully our encounter will be of interest to them, and maybe I'll see them again-- I invited them to the concert Friday because of church yesterday when they said to be faithful to invite people. Who knows-- they might come.

3 comments:

Holly said...

yay!! gabby, that's awesome. i am so blown away by your boldness to share with those guys! that's totally evidence of God's grace in your life. =)

Anonymous said...

Oh I PRAY that they come to the concert tomorrow night! I have a heart for those Morman guys... Very sad...
Thanks for being faithful to share the Gospel with them!

Melanie

paul steele said...

well, I have to say that we were a little less hospitable and questioning when we got a couple of mormon guys at our doors a couple days ago. Eric was closest to the door, so he got to talk to them, and we basically just said that we believed in Christ and weren't interested in Mormonism. Yeah, Gabby, you did better.