Thursday, November 02, 2006

Go out in twos and threes...

Well, I just had my first encounter with some Mormon missionaries. I got to hear the whole pitch-- from Adam to Jesus to Joseph Smith. Somewhere around Lehi the prophet sailing to South America between 600B.C. and 400 A.D. did I have something I really didn't believe. Every other argument I said, they agreed with-- that the Bible is the breath of God, infallible, and shouldn't be added to or subtracted from was totally fine with them... BUT-- they believe that modern-day prophets exist and are accepted via 12 modern-day apostles that they have who pray and unanimously select a new prophet when the old one dies. What do you all believe about their idea that prophets are around today? I always thought that the Old Testament was very separate once the veil was torn and the church was formed, so I didn't think modern prophets were called after that. The only real hole in their pitch for Mormonism (if I were gullible enough to believe it) is that I am supposed to "pray about it" to determine if the book is real, and they said it wouldn't hurt me any if it were a false book. I wouldn't pitch Christianity by saying, "hey, if you don't believe it-- just trash it." I'd be shouting, "THIS IS THE TRUTH!" Anyways, help me out here so I can give them something to think about for our date next Thursday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is much to be said about prophecy and many places to look. Try the Council of Biblical Manhood and Womanhood website. God gives the gift of prophecy to people in his church for the building up of his church. What they said about a new prophet replacing an old one....that's not true. When God does grant someone the gift of prophecy and in turn words or visions, they are from God, but tainted with sin. God gives us a word or vision, but it goes through our head and comes out or mouth, it is not God speaking he doesn't take over our mouth, although he is speaking through us in a way. We could easily corrupt the word or vision. That's why at the prophecy mic we do not say, "and thus says the Lord" it's usually, "I felt like the Lord placed this on my heart..." Our church is very careful in how we exercise the gift of prophecy. So I guess we could be considered prophets but we are not like the prophets of the old testament. I hope all that makes since and please feel free to ask someone else who knows a lot more about the subject than I do like Ann LaMacchia, Trillia Newbell and Stuart or Craig Cooper.