Sunday, February 05, 2006

And then there were none...

In the last 24 hours, I've been the adoptive mother of 3 3-month old puppies and now the lonely mother with none. James said 3 puppies were abandoned near a shed on his farm with a big bag of dog food, so we went there yesterday to retrieve them and bring them to a shelter to have a chance at being adopted. I asked around at church today and random friends if they wanted one, but I didn't think any would adopt them. Luckily, the old roomie Jessica got the grey and black puppy and Mason took the black lab looking one. I was ecstatic when they did, but I suddenly thought about what we'd have to do with the final (and the cutest, might I add) puppy remaining. She wandered around the living room kind of searching around-- I think hunting for her sisters since she was always the one to pick the fight with them and loved to wrestle. Then Holly insisted that we take her to the shelter today and not get attached, but I got sad holding in during the ride over. One, because she was going all alone to the shelter without her two little amigas, and two, because I didn't know where she'd end up. The girl at the shelter said, "You know there's the possibility that the animal will get euthanized, right?" and we said yes. Our landlord won't let us have pets here, and we also don't have the finances to care for a dog as it is. I definitely know how much vet bills cost. I just want to run back to the shelter and adopt her although it will be another 65 hours from now when she'll be taken out of isolation to be put in the puppy adoption area in the shelter. So if you're looking for an adorable puppy, this one is the most loving and spunky of any dog you'll ever meet. She'll be at the Young-Williams Animal Center on Sutherland Ave. for the next 2 weeks or so before she'll be euthanized.

1 comment:

Leslie Bowden Nack said...

Franklin needs a friend I think :)