Friday, February 10, 2006

Biblical Womanhood

I was reading the Council of Biblical Manhood and Womanhood's resources for women this afternoon, and started reading one of the journal articles entitled "Preparing for Motherhood
A CHRISTIAN RESPONSE TO THE CULTURAL ATTACK ON DOMESTICITY"
by Tim Bayly. I was enthralled with the story about his mother's life and the joy she obviously had in caring for her family. It talked about the rise of feminism in the 70's and the downfall of college educations for women in home economics and any other practical majors (nursing, Christian education, etc.) having any relation to the home anymore. I thank God for the transformation brought on by last year's VQ that made me realize the priorities I had before were merely for my own professional aspirations and not geared towards preparing for marriage and a family. There was also a section called "Quoted and Quotable" after the article. This is the quote I loved:

To be Queen Elizabeth
within a definite area,
deciding sales, banquets,
labors, and holidays; to be
Whitely within a certain area,
providing toys, boots, cakes,
and books; to be Aristotle
within a certain area, teaching
morals, manners, theology, and
hygiene; I can understand how
this might exhaust the mind,
but I cannot imagine how it
could narrow it. How can it be
a large career to tell other people’s
children about the Rule of
Three, and a small career to tell
one’s own children about the
universe? How can it be broad
to be the same thing to everyone
and narrow to be everything
to someone? No, a woman’s
function is laborious, but
because it is gigantic, not
because it is minute.

-G. K. Chesterton,

What’s Wrong with the World

And back to more puppies:

Attack puppy! And....

...attack boyfriend!