Friday, March 10, 2006

Who needs a reception anyways?....

I suppose you're all used to seeing every post from me now infiltrated with wedding planning. It's not consuming all my spare time... maybe closer to the day it will eat away at sleep.

Yesterday, in a procrasting fashion, I hunted for reception sites instead of studying for my test today. God was faithful, though, and I think I did well despite having to throw a few answers to the wind because my mind was a pile of mush after waking up at 4 a.m., napping from 4:30-5:10, and studying through one class, playing kickball in conditioning class, and the test at 10:00. Yay for cramming! Anyways, I think I looked up every hotel/convention center/community center (I looked at a community center for the deaf and decided Holly would get too much of a kick out of that...) in Knoxville and still have not found anything suitable for what I'm looking for. I'm trying to find somewhere close to the church, but the only areas with big banquet halls are Downtown near UT (*duh*) so it's proving to be a struggle to find adequate space and price for 100+ guests. Anywho, I'm hearing back speedily from some hotels and taking down pricing for each. Rothchild Conference Center and Catering e-mailed me back with meals around $17-$30/person with no room rental fee, more $ for the dance floor, and most of the decorating already included. I'm guessing about 125 guests will attend, so the cheapest meal choice + service charge + tax would be about $3,000. I don't know if that's reasonable or not, so some of you who've been through this will have to inform me! All we would need to add would be some centerpieces and embellishments to the stuff they'll provide as well as a cake (since theirs is $3/slice!). I'm aiming to not make my parents broke, and this seems like a good choice right now. I'll probably do most of the work myself (or with assistant posse in tow) instead of hiring for every service needed... unless I need a moonbounce. How cool would that be?!

Thanks to those of you who have offered referrals for wedding services already! I'm looking for crafty ideas for gifts and décor as well. 2 hours in AC Moore reading all of their $20 wedding books (no one told me 'This isn't a library!' so I took advantage of it :) ) didn't produce enough ideas that I liked.

Mmkay, back to house cleaning and sorting through my messy room!

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

We fed 450 people for around $4,000. I think $3,000 for 125 is a rip off. Does that $3,000 include the rental of the room? If the cake is $3.00 a slice it better be a cake with fondant icing.

Why not have the reception at the church and forget the dancing? :) You are going to be ready to get out of there anyways!

Suzanne said...

One more comment - I just reread your post - no room rental...sorry!