Monday, January 16, 2006

Can't I just get some more sleep??!

This morning was the first morning of Gabby and me starting our 6:30am club (inspired by the godly women over at the GirlTalk blog), and let me be the first to say that getting up this early was not easy by any means!! After my alarm went off at 6:30, I sat in bed thinking to myself, "Lord, I am so ready for this.... but I'm tired... if only I'd gone to bed earlier... maybe I need just a few more minutes... I will shut my eyes but still stay awake, I promise..." YEAH, RIGHT. Before I knew it, I'd dozed off again. God was determined to get me up though... every 5 minutes, right as I'd begin to fall back asleep, this super-loud and annoying bird outside my window would start chirping. This was no ordinary chirp though, one that was sweet and pleasing... it was like "AWWWWKKKK!" and it dang near made my ears bleed. So after about 5 of those chirps, I finally sat up in bed and said "Okay, God, I get it!" A couple minutes later, in walks Gabby, looking all sleepy and puffy-eyed-- "Guess this means we're going to actually have to start having a bedtime, huh, Holly?" Turns out that Gabby also wanted to snooze some more after her alarm went off. Gabby even drank some coffee this morning (oh yes, I might convert her after all! MUAHAHAHA!). We're pitiful. It's so humbling to remember that we're humans and we need lots of rest in order to have more personality than a brick, but we serve a God who never needs sleep!

I can honestly say that the time I spent in the Word this morning was beneficial and wonderful. It's funny to see how my whole demeanor changes when I look to the Lord as the focus of my morning. I hope we can continue to "rise while it is still dark" (Proverbs 31:15) and start our days off early by digging into the Word.

Now, it's time for a funny story. Have you guys ever heard that when you have bad gas cramps, you're supposed to lay on your left side to release the pressure? Gabby pointed this out to me this morning.... how about THESE apples: "Then lie on your left side, and place the punishment of the house of Israel upon it." (Ezekiel 4:4, ESV)

No comments: